My rig doesn't like my GE '66. Would an MKII be better?

Ask a question...get some answers

Moderator: The Captain

theatomicjeff

My rig doesn't like my GE '66. Would an MKII be better?

Post by theatomicjeff »

I just got my GE '66 that I won from the Capn's ebay auction two weeks ago.

My guitar is a Tom Anderson Droptop: H/S/S pickup configuration.
My amps are a Dr.Z KT-45 and Fargen Mighty Plex MKII (Marshall Plexi Clone).

The pickups are fairly hot and my amps are rather bright. I know the DAM site recommends lower output pickups and darker amps for the GE 1966 pedal and I've found out why. I just don't have much fuzz clarity.

I get the best results when I back off my guitar volume just a bit and back off of the gain of the '66 but it's still a little woofy with my rig.

The '66 just doesn't seem to be a good fit for my rig. Of course, getting a guitar/amp to match the '66 doesn't make sense, so I'm wondering if the DAM MKII fuzz would be a better fit for my rig?

thanks,
Jeff in Texas
theatomicjeff

Re: My rig doesn't like my GE '66. Would an MKII be better?

Post by theatomicjeff »

Yes, I've tried that. It's not bright; I'd say it's rather bassy/woofy with little clarity. If I back off of the volume, it gets thin.

:doh:
Cado

Post by Cado »

Both amps? The MKII will have less high end than the '66. What other fuzzes have you tried with that rig & how did they work out?
theatomicjeff

Post by theatomicjeff »

Ok. :doh: found the problem: bad cable.
It sounds much better with all pickups and amps now but I really have to back off the guitars volume knob a lot (about 3/4's) to get the clarity. Otherwise, it's too woofy.

Thanks for the input guys, it sounds much better!
jimi_dylan

Post by jimi_dylan »

Glad you found the cable problem. My Ge 1966 can get some sounds through my Fargen Mini-Plex MK II Custom with my guitar volume rolled off (but I use a strat with Kinman Woodstock Plus P'ups).
theatomicjeff

Post by theatomicjeff »

Thanks J_D.
Glad to see another Fargen user! Yeah, my Anderson has a unique configuration that allows me to both boost and split the humbucker into a single coil. I agree with you; I need to back off the guitar volume a lot.
theatomicjeff

Post by theatomicjeff »

Sickle wrote:I was going to suggest a cable, but I didn't wanna be suggest something that obvious, glad you found out what the problem was.
Next time, feel free to suggest that! :oldgrin:

Sickle wrote: Enjoy your 1966! I love mine! :freakout:
Thanks! Still need to get familiar with it.
Best results so far: guitar vol backed off about 2/3's; fuzz gain backed off to about 3-4 o'clock.

Anyone running a Red Rooster with theirs? If so, do you use it before or after the '66? I'm on the list # 2 for the RR's approximate February release.
JP30

Post by JP30 »

theatomicjeff wrote: Anyone running a Red Rooster with theirs? If so, do you use it before or after the '66? I'm on the list # 2 for the RR's approximate February release.

I've always used my RR after fuzz. right now, My RR is stuck to my Fuzzaround.

my 1966 doesn't like my bed room Champ. or Blue Jr. at higher volume.
it sounded better with my friends deluxe to my ears for some reason...

I don't like too much of wooly "Blah" sound in silicone fuzz, BUT I like Wooly feel of Germenium fuzz. Still, 1966 is much brighter and fuzzier than any Ge fuzzface that I have.

I been thinking about looking more into vox tonebender next year to see if I can find something little more brighter/spitter/raspier than my OC76ed 1966.
I was hoping to get hold of Ge 1966s that were sold on the Ebay auction since they were tuned little brighter than regular ones.?
Cado

Post by Cado »

I can't run any fuzz at full volume with the Blues Jr. The '66 has the biggest problem with it. I'll have to replace the Blues Jr. with a Victoria 35115. :headpop:
theatomicjeff

Post by theatomicjeff »

Good input, Jack - thanks!

Anyone know what guitar equipment was used to record the "Confused and Dazed" theme song in the 1966 section of the DAM website?

And :hihi: at Sickle's fuzz remedy.