first foray into the vintage world - Jennings Growler

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

phantasmagorovich

first foray into the vintage world - Jennings Growler

Post by phantasmagorovich »

I stumbled across this auction while trawling the bay and I just couldn't resist. A dude was selling off a lot of vintage guitars (nice ones, pity I'm too broke for that nice framus television he was selling...) and among those he had a heap of trashy stuff. Two transistor amps, cables, tuner and one effect - everything broken he says. So I look at the pic and I see "Growler" written on the pedal and I'm like - that's a nice name for a pedal. Looking it up reveiled it was from Jennings. A while ago I've seen someone demoing the one knobber on youtube and I loved that sound so I thought let's give this a shot. I won the auction. But I have no idea what to expect, info seems to be pretty scarce and so I thought I could ask the most knowledgeable of the vintage and NOS fuzzers: YOU!

(I hope it's not too broken. I wouldn't trust myself on a repair that goes beyond the most basic.)
Music is not a language. Any musical piece is akin to a boulder. - Iannis Xennakis
korchha

Post by korchha »

Hello Betsy. Hi, it's Travis. How ya doin'? Listen, uh, I'm, I'm sorry about the, the other night. I didn't know that was the way you felt about it. Well, I-I didn't know that was the way you felt. I-I-I would have taken ya somewhere else.
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

the growler is even cooler: it has the fuzz circuit and a wah.

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/jennings/growler
Everything is transitional.
phantasmagorovich

Re:

Electric Warrior wrote:the growler is even cooler: it has the fuzz circuit and a wah.

:dance: :freakout:

A Wah? The enclosure looks like the rotosound branded one in the thread korchha linked- there is only one knob/footpad thingie, but two footswitches. Would the growler have the fuzz knob and the wah freq on the same pot? Weird.

Edit: Yup, like the link. how does that work?
Music is not a language. Any musical piece is akin to a boulder. - Iannis Xennakis
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

I think the pot only controls the wah. the amout of fuzz is fixed.
Everything is transitional.
norhyme

Re: Re:

Post by norhyme »

phantasmagorovich wrote:
Electric Warrior wrote:the growler is even cooler: it has the fuzz circuit and a wah.

:dance: :freakout:

A Wah? The enclosure looks like the rotosound branded one in the thread korchha linked- there is only one knob/footpad thingie, but two footswitches. Would the growler have the fuzz knob and the wah freq on the same pot? Weird.

Edit: Yup, like the link. how does that work?

But the growler has two switches...

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/jennings/growler
“Interviewer: 'So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?' Frank Zappa: 'You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?” ― Frank Zappa
phantasmagorovich

We will see. I'm getting really pumped for this thing. Feels like the discovery of a new land or something. Thanks for helping me place this a little better. I am definitely looking forward to getting it now. Before it was just this blank thing that was mildly interesting and a good deal. But now we got my imagination fired up...
phantasmagorovich

norhyme wrote:
phantasmagorovich wrote: Edit: Yup, like the link. how does that work?

A little misunderstanding there. "like the link" referred to the effectsdatabase link that Electric Warrior has also posted. We're all in the same boat.
norhyme

Post by norhyme »

phantasmagorovich wrote:
norhyme wrote:
phantasmagorovich wrote: Edit: Yup, like the link. how does that work?

A little misunderstanding there. "like the link" referred to the effectsdatabase link that Electric Warrior has also posted. We're all in the same boat.
“Interviewer: 'So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?' Frank Zappa: 'You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?” ― Frank Zappa
phantasmagorovich

HARR!