Red Rooster: Initial Impressions

Tonal shaping & volume boosting delivered with germanium love.

Moderator: The Captain

5digits6strings

Re: Red Rooster: Initial Impressions

Post by 5digits6strings »

5digits6strings wrote:
Sickle wrote:Using the Rooster with a buffer is a mistake, the treble booster IS the buffer. Not many realize this now, which surprises me a little with the surge in (re)popularity of the treble booster in general, but they were made to brighten up dark sounding amps, accelerate tube overdrive, AND make up for treble loss due to long guitar cables in concert level performances, so when you use one in tandem with a buffer, which is just another word for boost(usually jfet) that preserves high end, you're getting two units performing the same duty, so....

If you want to experience the original intention of the treble booster, remove your buffers, place the Rooster last in line, just before your amp, and have at it. To hear the Rooster at the original 'Rangemaster' setting, turn the range all the way counter clockwise. There are a dozen uses for the Rooster, and its easily my favorite RM derivative.
Yeah, I mean the Rooster does sound a bit...off, after a buffer. But at the same time, it really does a good job of boosting up the high end with a dark guitar and amp. Either way, it'll probably be first in the path, unless I'm running all true bypass pedals. Oh, the Beano is out of the contest, as I have ruled the D*A*M *winner* of the two! The "vintage" nature of the Beano doesn't do it for me like the raw fatness of the D*A*M. Now, let's see what happens when I get that TB-83! :box:

Here's a nice little comparison somebody did between the two: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=544225
Well, I just got the TB-83, and had a chance to A/B it with the Red Rooster. And... :ohno: REALLY tough call. The TB-83 is a one-trick pony, but man, what a trick. Most notable is the LARGE volume boost it provides while in the signal path. You're forced to work your guitar volume and pickup selector, which is a good thing, if you have an amp that's easily overdriven. The Rooster is loud, for sure, but the Cornish is even louder...all the time! Hehe. I'll post back when I have had a chance to try it more, but it's going to be a tough call! :paranoid: